If you have a bachelors degree and are interested in teacher certification, you can pursue this online teacher preparation program. If you do not yet hold a bachelors degree, you can learn more about our online bachelors degree option for teacher preparation here.
Unlike a traditional 100% online degree program, this is a limited residency program that requires you to attend orientation in Prescott, Arizona. It is also a hybrid program - meaning you will be working in your community and with mentors as well as online. Courses are taken online or as mentored-study with mentors who are typically working teachers or school administrators from your home communities. Core Faculty members provide support, oversight, evaluation, and approval through each stage of your program.
If you have no prior credit in education, you can expect to spend approximately one and one-half years (three semesters) in the limited-residency program for secondary education. If you have transferable credits in education or the teaching subject area you may have a shorter time to completion. You'll work with faculty to plan the timing and sequence of your courses and student teaching.
Prescott College offers students the opportunity to earn the Arizona Teaching Intern Certificate. The Arizona Teaching Intern Certificate enables individuals with a bachelor's degree or higher to teach full-time while completing the requirements for an Arizona provisional teaching certificate. Learn more.
|EDU 47001||Foundations of Education||3|
|EDU 47005||Learning Theories||3|
|EDU 47010||Curriculum Design||3|
|EDU 47035||Introduction to Special Education||3|
|EDU 47217||Reading Methods and Literacy in the Secondary Classroom||3|
|EDU 47208||Secondary Content Methods||3|
|EDU 47040||Creating and Managing Learning Communities||3|
|EDU 47002||Structured English Immersion Methods Complete||3|
|EDU 47299||Student Teaching/Secondary||8|
- High School Teacher
- The skills and ability to develop lesson plans that have clear objectives, include assessment of how students will master stated objectives, incorporate higher order thinking skills, and are aligned to state and/or national standards
- Knowledge of and experience with strategies to address the needs of diverse learners (English language learners, special needs and gifted students, students with varying readiness skills and interest levels)
- Skills for articulating lesson objectives for students and checking for understanding at the completion of the lesson
- Knowledge of incorporating valid and reliable assessment tools (including the use of rubrics) and evaluation procedures, incorporating formal and informal assessments
- The skills and ability to create a positive and productive environment, incorporating strategies that will ensure classroom effectiveness and that reinforce an atmosphere of respect for differences and commonalities within the classroom community
I've always wanted to complete my education. It had always been a dream for me but there were a lot of outside influences that I let determine my future for me. It's taken several years for me to stop and say, 'wait - I wanted to go school. I wanted to do other things.' I need to do this for me because it's something that I always wanted to do."