If you're ready to be a school counselor equipped with the skills and sensitivities to thrive in your career, this is the online degree program for you. We're committed to providing you with a quality academic experience and an opportunity to engage in integrated and focused application of your learning.
Unlike a traditional 100% online M.Ed. program, this is a limited-residency program that relies on online instruction with a minimal residency component. With the guidance of core faculty, you'll complete a degree plan that outlines your course of study. The core courses are prescribed in order to meet certification requirements. At the same time, there is room for an elective for you to pursue your own areas of interest.
- Complete New Student Orientation either On-Campus or Online
- Copy of fingerprint clearance card
- Complete six days per year residency
- Completion of 36 semester hours
|MASG 50000||Foundations of School Counseling||3|
|MASG 51010||Counseling Theories||3|
|MASG 50030||Social and Ecological Perspectives||3|
|MASG 50020||Human Growth and Development||3|
|MASG 50080||Group Dynamics Processing and Counseling||4|
|MASG 50070||Vocational Counseling and Career Development||3|
|MASG 50112||School Counseling: Program Development||3|
|MASG 50111||Research Practices for School Counselors||3|
|MASG 51020||Supervised School Counseling Practicum||8|
- School Counselor, Pre-K-12
- Mastery of contemporary and foundational knowledge and theory in school counseling
- Ability to integrate theoretical and practical aspects of the field
- Ability to demonstrate written communication skills that are informed, scholarly, and passionate
- Ability to demonstrate oral communication skills that are informed, scholarly, and passionate
- Development of social literacies, including an understanding and appreciation of the ways humans relate to their own and other cultures, and the impact this relationship has on school counseling
- Development of ecological literacies, including an understanding and appreciation of the ways humans relate to their environment (ecological, spiritual, and cultural), and of the relevance of these ideas to school counseling
It doesn't really feel like an online program...it feels like a residential program where we all just live in different places and come together and see each other every now and again."