If you're passionate about our environment and the role humans play within it - you'll have a place in this online bachelors degree program.
The Bachelor of Arts in Sustainable Community Development is designed to give students a home for their personal vision of how to design and implement measures that create or restore communities. The program defines community as humans and all other resident life forms of local ecosystems and the habitats that support all life. Students study the physical environment of their community, the values, practices, and needs of humans who reside there, and the influences of, and access points to, relevant government and private enterprises whose activities affect the well-being of the community. Projects done throughout the program will distill from studies and be designed to address authentic needs in the student’s community. Students may focus on rural or urban settings.
Unlike a traditional 100% online bachelors degree program, this is a limited residency program that requires you to attend orientation in Prescott, Arizona. It is also a hybrid program - meaning you will be working in your community and with mentors as well as online.
Our online programs are flexible both in terms of the ability to complete your degree at a distance, and in the ability you have to earn credit for your life experience through our Prior Learning Assessment. We've been working with adult learners through distance programs for over twenty years - our programs are designed with your success in mind. If you are a transfer student, contact us to find out how your credits might apply. We have a generous transfer credit policy.
Course formats include:
- Online and hybrid courses
- Mentored study academic courses
- Mentored study internship courses
- Attend New Student Orientation in Prescott, Arizona
- A minimum of 60 semester credits in Environmental Studies & Sustainability
- A minimum of 120 semester credits
- Develop two breadths (similar to a minor)
- Breadth 1 is an elective, with a minimum of 30 semester credits
- Breadth 2 is the Liberal Arts, with a minimum of 30 semester credits
|SES47300UD||Awakening Citizens to Community Engagement for Beneficial Change||4|
|SES47001UD||Sustainability, the Environment, and the Arts||4|
- A strong foundation in the liberal arts with a foundation in critical thinking and creative problem-solving by engaging in a broad, interwoven range of models of inquiry
- Ecological literacy that is based on an understanding of natural systems, and an examination of human impact on the integrity of those systems and the diversity of life
- Global cultural literacy that involves both an academic and a personal understanding of the depth of our interdependence as human beings and communities
- The skills and dispositions involved in lifelong learning include curiosity, transfer, independence, initiative, and reflection
- Skills for inquiry, analysis, and synthesis that include the capacity to use research techniques, mathematics, and other qualitative and quantitative scholarly methods
The way learning is approached at Prescott College is so empowering. The trust and confidence the program placed in me, as a scholar, made me feel that much more confident in my own abilities to set my own course and direct my own process."